The Northwestern University community now has access to PsychiatryOnline, thanks to a recent licensing collaboration of the Galter Health Sciences Library and the University Library. The site, optimized for mobile devices and regularly updated by American Psychiatric Press, the publishing division of the American Psychiatric Association, provides access to various psychiatric and mental health information resources. The collection includes a number of textbooks, the DSM Library (the widely used DSM-IV-TR®, previous editions of the DSM, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, a handbook, and a casebook), APA Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders, medication information handouts for patients, and last but not least, well-known psychiatry journals presented in this new platform (most of them were previously licensed by NU libraries). While Psychiatry Online can be used as the jumping-off point for research, the Galter Library has also created links for each individual title as well.
Textbooks in the collection include:
- The American Psychiatric Publishing textbook of psychiatry
- Gabbard’s treatments of psychiatric disorders
- Textbook of psychotherapeutic treatments
- The American Psychiatric Publishing textbook of geriatric psychiatry
- Dulcan’s textbook of child and adolescent psychiatry (FSM faculty author)
- The American Psychiatric Publishing textbook of substance abuse treatment
- The American Psychiatric Publishing textbook of psychopharmacology
- Manual of clinical psychopharmacology
- Textbook of traumatic brain injury
Journals and one newsletter that are part of the collection include:
- Academic psychiatry
- The American journal of psychiatry
- Journal of neuropsychiatry and clinical neurosciences
- Psychiatric news
- Psychiatric services
NOTE: Also available in Psychiatry Online are self-assessment tools for study, board certification and recertification review. Since CME is earned on an individual basis, any persons interested in earning CME must purchase the Psychiatry CME add-on module individually. This is the only feature that our institutional license cannot provide.
When you search for e-books on the Galter Library's website or in the online catalog, remember that you are searching by broad subject area or title. Although Table of Contents searches are possible; searches for content inside many e-books are not yet possible in our website. Content searches can be conducted for information contained within individual online suites, such as PsychiatryOnline. Users should also be aware that the online book collection is still a relatively small subset of the entire book collections at Northwestern University libraries.