It is now possible to export citations from PubMed to EndNote with a minimum of fuss. Prior to this change, Firefox users could export citations fairly easily but other browsers required a few extra steps. The new Send to Citation Manager feature in PubMed is the quickest and most efficient option available.
- Perform your search in PubMed.
- Select the references you want to save.
- From the Send to drop-down menu, choose Citation Manager
- Click Create File
- Depending on your browser, the next steps will vary. In both IE and Firefox, you will choose to open the file. In IE, the file may go to your Downloads folder. Either way, you should be presented with an option to choose a program to open the file. If EndNote is not already selected, choose it.
- If EndNote is not open, you will be asked to choose a library. Once selected, you will be prompted to choose an Import Filter. Select PubMed.
- The citations will import into EndNote.
For different ways to import citations from PubMed and other databases, see our EndNote Basics guide.